A baseline is a copy of the schedule and includes Start, Finish, Work, and Cost for all the Resources and Assignments, plus Duration for all the tasks in your project. When you set a baseline, you save that data about the project at that specific point in time. Baselines are used to compare actual progress against the planned progress (baseline) throughout phases of the project.
- Start from your Home page and select Project Centre from the left navigation bar.
- Open/check out your project using Microsoft Project Professional by selecting the Project Icon.
NOTE: The right time to set the first baseline is after initial planning is done.
Set (or Re-Set) a Baseline:
- On the Project tab, select Set Baseline
- From the drop-down, select which baseline you wish to set (a baseline that has already been set will have an associated date, over-writing this will mean you are re-baselining that phase – you should only re-baseline when you have major changes in your project such as: delays, overrun of budget or loss of key resources.)
- Click OK.
Clear a Baseline
- On the Project tab, click the down arrow on the Set Baseline option to display the ability to Clear Baseline.
View a baseline
On the right of your Gantt Chart, you will have an option to Add Columns. Here you can choose to view baseline data.
- Right-click Add New Column and type Baseline to select the data you wish to view in column form (this will display the corresponding data on the Gantt chart).