How to Navigate Project Online
This How To is an overview of the main menu options you can use to navigate Project Online (POL), rather than a step-by-step guide. Specific tasks and steps to complete these tasks will be covered by other How To documents, which may mean there will be repetition/duplication of this information.
This is the home (or landing) page of Project Online (POL), it is advisable to save the link to your homepage as a bookmark or favourite on your web browser.
At any time you can click your organisation logo in the top left corner to return to this as your home page.
There is a vertical menu bar on the left side of the screen and a horizontal ‘tiles’ menu which accesses projects, approvals, tasks etc., as configured by your organisation. The main components of these are covered in this How To.
Vertical Menu Bar
- Project Intake. This is where new ideas and new project information is entered before they are put through an approval workflow where, if approved, they will appear in the Project Centre.
- Dashboards – Project Centre. This is a grid list of projects. From here you can open your project schedule in Microsoft Project (click the icon in the ‘information’ column), or in Project Online (click the hyperlink in the ‘project name’ column). You can also sort and/or filter the column as you would in Microsoft Excel.
Clicking the ‘projects’ option at the top left of the screen will display the associated menu bar:
The options on these menu bars will be explained in more detail as required by specific “How To” guides.
- Dashboards – Resource Centre. This is a grid list of your organisations Enterprise Resource Pool. You can sort and/or filter the column as you would in Microsoft Excel. This is where you can view and edit resources and resource request details, however this is not where you will assign or request resources – this is covered in a separate How To.
Clicking the ‘resources’ option at the top left of the screen will display the associated menu bar:
- My Activities The data displayed in the options under the ‘My Activities’ group are specific to you as a user. These will all have associated menus when you click the tab within that option.
Calendar – displays as a calendar, like Outlook, with project days/dates and tasks that are relevant to you.
My Tasks – displays a list of tasks that have been assigned to you.
Manage Timesheets – If your organisation is using the timesheet option within POL, this is where your timesheets will be stored and you will have options here to manage those.
Timesheets – If your organisation is using the timesheet option within POL, this is where you will complete your hours against any projects and/or tasks that have been assigned to you.
Approvals (tasks) – This option is available if you are an approving manager for tasks and/or resources on projects. It will allow you to view and edit, approve or decline requests.
Approvals (workflow) – This option is available if you are an approving manager for projects and will allow you to view and comment, approve or decline project workflow requests (e.g. kick-off, stage-gates, closure etc.)
- Strategy Section. Your organisations strategic drivers are here – the menu options on the associated menu bar will be controlled by your organisations role setting for access. This is where programme or portfolio wide prioritisation and analyses are executed.
Driver Library displays your organisations strategic drivers:
Driver Prioritisation is where you can create a prioritisation of these strategic drivers that you will use to run a portfolio analysis.
Portfolio Analysis allows you to select a group of projects and run an auto-analysis of them against your created driver prioritisations giving you an overview or analysis of priorities.
- Server Settings. This is the “control centre” for your organisations settings of Project Online. Access to this area is controlled by administrators, so many of the hyperlink options will not be available to the everyday user, however you will have access to your own personal settings:
Horizontal Tiles Menu Bar:
The data displayed in the options under the horizontal tiles menu bar is specific to you as a user. This usually covers projects that have been assigned to you, as well as any Approvals, Tasks, Timesheets and register items (Issues, Risks etc.).
- You may have an option for reporting, this will link through to another application called Power BI.